Yurevichi, Belarus

Rechitsa Uyezd, Minsk Gubernia

User Tools

Site Tools


sources:books:yop:start

Yurevichi on the Pripyat

  • Icenka, U.F., Yurevichi on the Pripyat. Minsk, 2000. 65 pages. ISBN 985-6119-43-X.
  • Ісаенка, У. Ф., Юравічы над Прыпяццю. — Мн.: УП «Арты-Фэкс», 2000. — 65 с.: іл. ISBN 985-6119-43-X.

Table of Contents

Table of Contents

  1. In the heart of Polessie … 3
  2. Relief as a trace of the glacier … 6
  3. Mammoth hunters … 9
  4. Amazing antiquity … 12
  5. Life in forest-steppe … 14
  6. In the shades of somber forest … 16
  7. Neolithic daybreak … 19
  8. Going for “goods” with axes in hands … 22
  9. The acquisition of the motherland … 23
  10. Drigavichi pride … 25
  11. Gradnya on Yura … 27
  12. The light of Christianity .. 29
  13. Princes rumbles … 30
  14. In Grand Duchy of Lithuania … 33
  15. The first data … 35
  16. From the distemper to the war … 39
  17. Missionaries-enlighteners … 42
  18. The relic of Polessie … 45
  19. Under the double eagle wings … 49
  20. The land is a footstep away freedom … 53
  21. A new century … 57
  22. Yuravichi chronicles … 61
  23. Illustrations … 65

Timeline

250-200 thousand years ago
Dneprovsky glacier retreat. A moraine ridge stretches from Mozyr till Yuravichi.
50-30 thousand years ago
The greatest warming in the middle of Poozerskaya ice age.
40 thousand years ago
A debacle of melt waters breaks from morained basin through a moraine ridge near Yuravichi. The narrow valley appeared.
26 thousand years ago
Mammoth hunters settled down on the bank of the Pripyat. The first Upper Paleolithic site.
7000-4500 B.C.
Pathfinders settled down in the valley of the Pripyat. Yuravichi-2, Akulinka, Lubnya, Lomish, Narovlya sites.
4500-2000(1800) B.C.
The dneprodonetskaya Neolithic culture. The settlements of fishermen: Yuravichi(near Litvin Lake), Slobodka, Grada, Shareyki(lakes).
500-800
The Eastern-Slavic tribes settle apart. Settlements and graves are in Yuracvihi(Litvin), Slobodka, Shareiki.
980
The first knowledge of Turov. Yuravichi foundation (950-1000).
988
Christianization of Russia in Turovschina (990-1000).
988-1009
Svyatopolk Yaropolchi in Turov.
1005
Episcopacy in Turov.
1155
The first knowledge of Mozyr (the property of Svyatoslav Olgovich).
1170
Possible knowledge of Yuravihi-Mejimoscse.
1150-1154?
Andrei Yuravich in Turov
1155-1160
The battle for Kiev and Turov between Volinsk princes and Yurii Dolgoruky.
1159
Svyatoslav Olgavichi owns Mozyr again.
1157-1162
Yurii Yaroslavichi (from Volinsk) in Turov
1162-1190
Svyatopolk Yuravich in Turov
1241
The mongol-tatars of khan Guyk destroy Kiev lands.
1273
Polessye first appears in Ipacseyski chronicle.
1280
The Lithuanians defeated mongol-tatars near Mozyr.
1320
Narimunt the son of Gedemin temporarily owns Mozyr.
1342-1345
The lands near Mozyr and Rechitsa (besides these towns) as well as Yuravichi with its suburbs and Litvin Lake started became the part of Grand Duchy of Lithuania.
1388
Vitovt let the Jews to settle in Lithuania.
1390
The Tartars destroyed Turov
1413
The establishment of Minsk province (practically since 1566) that included Yuravichi.
1430-1434
Grand prince Svidrigailo gave up Yuravichi to Bogdan Serbin for his service.
1497
Mozyr lands were ruined by the Tartars. Kiev Metropolitan Makarii was killed.
1502-1527
The Tartars attack almost every year generally in winter.
1505
The depredation of Krim princes Mahmet-Girey, Bitsi-Girey and Burnas from Loev crossing till to the central part of Belarus.
1508
Prince Glinsky launched an insurrection in Mozyr.
1510
The first record about Yuravichi as the property of Senka and Fedka Bogdanocich-Serbin ( according to Lithuanian metrics).
1521, 1534
The Tartars butchered and ruined Mozyr.
1535
Moscow troops headed by Telepnev and Prince Auchina-Abalensky attacked the towns in Pripyat region.
1550
Yuravichi belongs to Mozyr volast
1552
Another record of Yuravichi: it belongs to landowner Koscushkovich and there are 23 homesteads. Yuravichi is a adscripted to Mozyr castle.
1565
Yuravichi is part of Mozyr povet of Kiev voivodship.
1569
Yuravichi and Mozyr povet are in Minsk voevodship.
1600
Yuravichi belongs to Servacsiy Askerak who is a tycoon and a ruler.
1622
The treasure with coins was burried in Yuravichi (found in 1951).
1630
Our Lady icon got to Society of Jesus in Yuravichi from Poland.
1647-1654
The liberation movement of Cossacks in Ukraine. Bogdan Hmelnicsky. Peasants rebellions at Polessye.
1649
Colonel Krichevsky conducts his campaign through Yuravichi to Loev in August.
1652
Jesuits in Mozyr start their missionary work in Yuravichi.
1659
A Russian troop headed by Prince Volkonsky occupied Mozyr.
1666
On the map of D'Abevil Yuravichi is called Yurovo.
1670
Mozyr became royalty.
1673
A wood chapel was built and cosecrated in Yuravichi on September 5 to keep the Our Lady icon.
1674
Barbara Lashchina(of Yudzicskie) and Mariana Baibuzyanka-Katarskaya gave their property to the Jesuits - the two parts of Yuravichi.
1678
A poem in honor of “Wonderful panna Yuravicskaya at habitable hills between Polessye deserts” was printed in Vilno in Polish.
1680
Jesuits mission in Yuravichi.
1683
Yuravichi was given royal privileges.
1715
A new Catholic Church was built.
1717
The building of a new cloister with a church started.
1722
Prudok and Shareiki farmsteads are given up to the Jesuits. Kustovnitsa and Mitkovshchina estates are given up to them in a year.
1727
Yuravichi was given privileges for trade from the king Avgust II.
1732
Taras Orshicsky constructed the main altar in the Catholic Church. It was donated by Stepan Petrovsky.
1742
Priest Francsishak Kolberg published his writing “The wells of Maria's wonderful grace from Yuravichi hills” in Polish. The second edition was published in 1755.
1748
Gaydamaks ransacked Yuravichi residence on October 14.
1756
Yuravichi abbey opened a school.
1758 (Septemer 5)
Wonderworking icon of Yuravichi Lady was relocated to a newly built Catholic Church.
1773
Pope Klimentiy XIV forbade Jesuit orden that had been functioning since 1673.
1773
Bernardians settled down in Yuravichi abbey till 1789.
1778 (May 5)
The last king Stanislav-Avgust Ponyatovky gave privileges to Yuravichi.
1789
Dominicans at Yuravichi abbey till 1799.
1787
Yuravichi Church school established (40 pupils).
1793 (May 4)
Minsk province(gubernia) was established. Yuravichi is a part of Mozyr povet.
1794 (June)
Yuravichi Georgiev Church along with Shareyskaya Mikolaevskaya Church withdrew the union and joined Orthodox Church.
1795
Restoration of the abbey school in Yuravichi (till 1820).
1800
Capuchins had served in Yuravichi abbey till 1832 by the order of Minsk bishop Y.Dzederka.
1802
Yuravichi is a part of Rechitsa povet.
1839
There are 70 homesteads in Yuravichi.
1840
Yuravichi wharf on the Pripyat works.
1840
Yuravichi Catholic Church was given back to Catholic parish as a parochial church. A wooden Saint Toitskaya Church was built.
1845
Yuravichi old-time residents grow up: Bulgak, Kozlovsky, Kovshun, Kasyan, Komchanko, Kusher, Myalanichi, Nagorny, Prudkevich, Chuhel, Yushchenko
1863
756 people live in Yuravichi. 136 of them are Jews.
1863
Yuravichi Catholic Church was closed. The last priest was H.Horadecsky. Catholic Churches were only in Barbarov and Mozyr since then.
1864 (November 27)
The Catholic Church was given up to Orthodox department. General governor Muravyev took care about it.
1865
534 tons of goods (spirit, tobacco, wood, wool) were dispatched from Yuravichi wharf. The grand total was 11.600 rubles.
1865
Anton Sakovich painted a lot of icons.
1865
The first public school in Yuravichi established. Mihail Drozdovsky was among the first teachers.
1866
Catholic parish in Yuravichi was finally closed.
1868
On the second day of Trinity Alexander II presented the icon of Saint Prince Alexander Nevsky to Yuravichi people.
1870
A military route was laid through Yuravichi.
1871
A public school for women was established in Yuravichi. Alena Mitrofanovna was the first teacher.
1872
The reconstruction of Yuravichi Catholic Church into twelve-cupola Orthodox Church headed by architect S.Ivanov.
1876 (September 18)
The statement of completion of “Vo imya Rozhdestva Presvyatoi Bogorodicsi” cathedral building was signed.
1878
There are 22 settlements in Yuravichi volast - 18 elderships and 19 communities. According to other sources the are 43 villages.
1885
There are 177 homesteads, 756 people and 1231 Orthodox believers in Yuravichi.
1890
A post-office appeared in Yuravichi and there are 10 beds in the hospital.
1890
Fedor Melej from Glinishci (grandfather of Belarussian writer I.P.Melej) is a foreman in volast (till 1898).
1901
About 1000 people live in Yuravichi. The town is locally controlled. There are a police office, the church, a pharmacy, a synagogue. 750 tons of goods were dispatched from the wharf
1904
There are revolutionary groups in Yuravichi (up to 50 members).
1905 (Spring)
Mass meetings of Yuravichi peasants.
1905 (September)
Peasants strikes in Aleksichi and Berozka villages.
1906 (January)
Repressions of Tsar authorities.
1906 (Fall)
Commotions in Yuravichi when Russo-Japanese War soldiers came back.
1917 (November 23)
Yuravichi people learnt about the October revolution.
1917 (December 5)
The representative of Rechitsa Sovet declared the first decrees of Soviet power in Yuravichi.
sources/books/yop/start.txt · Last modified: 2013/11/17 17:38 by 195.50.31.211